Wichita’s most iconic symbol is the Keeper of the Plains. As you have probably noticed,…
Prepare for Severe Weather
Tornado alley is a cluster of states in the Midwestern and Central Plains areas of the US where tornadoes are most likely to occur. Tornado alley is typically identified as including parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Indiana, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio.
Tornado season in Kansas generally takes place between mid to late April and the middle of June. While April to June is peak tornado season in Kansas, the majority of tornadoes have historically occurred on May 22nd and 23rd. In fact, there have been 160 tornadoes in Kansas during those two days in the years since 1950.
Preparation Is Important
According to the National Weather Service you should have the following prepared in case of severe weather:
- Be weather-ready – check forecast frequently
- Sign-up for notifications – media and/or smart phone alerts
- Create a communications plan – Pick a safe room to all go to in the event of threatening weather
- Practice your plan with your family
- Prepare your home inside and outside
- Help your neighbor!